First Wheelchair Eval and updated mri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Wheelchair Eval and updated mri

I've been needing mobility aids for so long. I'm so excited that on friday I'm going for my firsr wheelchair evaluation. I have no idea what to expect. I've been researching chairs for almost a year and i have a lot of ideas of what I want.

Any advice for getting my first chair? I'm so worried that my insurance won't pay for the one I want. What has been your experiences with insurance?

I'm trying not to get too excited in case my insurance dosent work out. After my shoulder surgery i met my deductible and my out of pocket max. I also lost my job and did not qualify for unemployment. If my insurance dosent cover my chair I can't get it.

I also finally got my updated mri and it was sent to the nuero yesterday. I havent had a dr in years and when I finally found one who treats sb in adults I couldn't get an appointment without an mri and of course my insurance didn't cover an mri until after the deductible.

Things are finally starting to move. I'm so excited. I'm in some of the worst back/nerve pain I've ever had this week. Just can't get relief. Hoping and praying all works out.
    lipomyelomeningocele, tethered cord, nerve damage began as a young adult, still have lots to learn about living with SB!

Manual or power chair?
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Comment

Manual.

So far I've decided:
      Ultralight
      Rigid
      Fold Down push handles
      Clothing guard

What I'm worried about other than insurance and pricing is that I usually sit with my legs crossed. It's very uncomfortable to sit with my feet flat unless I'm in like a kids chair. Also I like the look of the tapered foot rest but not sure if that will be a comfortable position for me. And I have no idea what kind of cushion to get. I'm thinking about honeycomb. I would like something comfortable, and easy to use and clean.

I finally have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in about 2 weeks (on my birthday, best gift I could get this year!!!) so I will probably wait to hear what he says about my mri before making a final decision. I'm also hoping to get to at least sit in some different chairs at the abilities expo. I know Tilite, Ki Mobility and Colors are all going to be there. It will be great having a hands on look at them.

I'm so excited/nervous/anxious! I feel so trapped. I've been in so much pain this week since going to an SB event at a small theme park last weekend. I feel like the chair will give me so much more freedom but I hope I'm envisioning a true picture of what it's like using a chair. I know it can be hard, dirty and inconvenient but so is being so tired and in so much pain and not being able to do the things I used too.

My husband is super supportive, but my parents are not really on board. They think I should wait and see if the neurosurgeon can do something to alleviate my need for a chair. I'm sure there are things that may help but I don't believe there are any that will allow me to walk like I used too. I'd rather have my life back now than to hold onto a string in the future. I'm sure my cord is re-tethered but I'm not ready for another surgery and none of my previous surgeries gave me back anything I lost. They alleviated some pain and slowed the progression.

Sorry, I've been working towards this for at least a year. I have a lot of pent up excitement and frustrations.
      lipomyelomeningocele, tethered cord, nerve damage began as a young adult, still have lots to learn about living with SB!

Comment

While at the abilities expo this weekend I not only go to test out many different chairs but I got to meet other wheelchair users and ask them billions of questions. I think I have everything picked out. Now I'm just waiting to get my mri results and see what/if insurance will cover. I'm so hopeful that insurance covers the bulk of what I want. Every chair I sat in provided instant pain relief while still allowing me to do what I wanted to do. I am really really praying that the guy who measured me measured correctly and I will be getting the right fit. After testing so many chairs I experienced the major differences that minor things can make.

Comment

I know what you mean about trying out new chairs. I gave up on the NHS system of getting chairs, as they never really got it right. I went to various exhibitions and found a chair which was a lightweight chair which is called a Quickie, and I could not believe how easy it was to manoeuvre. Never went back from lightweight since then. It helps with driving as well as I just lift it in.
          I outgrew that though and am now in a lightweight chair from a company called RGK, and it is great, but since my shoulder problems, I only use it for going in the car and short distances or round the house and showering.

Comment

Did you try different seat cushions too?
            I have a Quickie Neon chair (a model not available in the US) that I use with a gel-filled Jay2 Deep Contour cushion, but I'd like to try an air cushion, the Jay is actually quite heavy. Just like Mark, anything to reduce weight is good for my shoulders
            Roger
            Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Comment

Cushions are another issue that the NHS don't always get right. When I started using a powered wheelchair, when my shoulder became too weak to use my manual chair full-time, they tried me with 3 different cusions, and finally settled with a cushion which states on it that it is pressure reducing. Since April I have been having daily district nurses who have been dealing with 3 sores I have down below and it seems that general concensus is that they are pressure related! So much for the cushion!

Comment

I did try different cushions. The roho air cushion was amazing! Super comfortable and relieved the pressure pain in my back. I decided to go with a honeycomb cushion though because it is so hot where I live. I can't wait to get it. I joined a wheelchair soccer team and after practice last night the back of my shorts were almost dripping wet!

Quickie was not at the expo. I liked the Ti Lite, Colours and Ki Mobility. I had decided to go with Ki Mobility but I keep getting a lot of negative feedback from those that have used them. I'm so confused. Not sure what to do!!

Comment

Working...
                X