This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't reply to spam.

There has been a noticable increase in spamming here recently, it most often is in the form of posts in the Blogs section but also occasionally in the Forum.
    I remove two or three spam posts every day on average.

If you see a spam post that I or any other moderator have not yet dealt with, please do not post a reply to the spam post.
    It makes the process of deleting the spam and banning the spammer more complicated and time consuming if there are also posts by legitimate members in the same thread.

If the spam post is more than 8 hours old please use the "Report post" link (the little triangle with an exclamation mark in the "toolbar" at the bottom of the message). It sends a notification email to all the moderators.

Thanks for your support
    Last edited by Dodger67; 01-26-2013, 05:48 AM.
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

FYI... I received some SPAM in my personal email account from a Sasha Boyd <sasha@va.gov.samhsa.net> relating to one of the posts I previously made.

Comment

I notice that the increase has started shortly after the revamping of the website, which first introduced the blog function (I think?). Something about the way that one is configured may make the website spammable...how do the spammers get themselves registered in the first place, I wonder? Maybe every new registration needs to be checked for legitimacy by an actual person? Sorry if all this is completely irrelevant, I am not a tech person, just throwing thoughts out there...
      Benjamin, born 10/2012 with SB L5/S1, loved by his parents and his older brother and sister (born 2006 and 2010)

Comment

Filtering people's first posts is an option but I'm very reluctant to do so because it would cause delays for many legitimate first posts that really need fast, positive, supportive replies - just look through the "Newly diagnosed" section.

Dealing with 4 or 5 spams in 24 hours is not too onerous, I can manage that fairly easily - as long as the spam has not been replied to
        Last edited by Dodger67; 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM.
        Roger

Comment

That's true, the wait time until I was approved in another forum drove me crazy - particularly as the email with the activating link ended up in my junk folder and I couldn't find it! Sigh. So no easy solution here...
          Benjamin, born 10/2012 with SB L5/S1, loved by his parents and his older brother and sister (born 2006 and 2010)

Comment

maybe we could ask a secret question that needs to be answered before rego can be completed.... it will have to be simple that pretty much everyone would know but may turn others away. eg. Initials for Spina Bifida are? Or name one type of SB.

Comment

A Captcha and/or a confirmation email would probably be the way to go if the spamming becomes unmanagable.
              Roger

Comment

But please keep in mind that some users aren't native speakers of English and some newly diagnosed people don't know anything about SB at all.
                And some people might make typos that would need to be considered.
                So a question could cause problems.

E-Mail-confirmation is also a good thing but as Tigerle said sometimes such mails go right to the spam-folder.
                So this could be discouraging as well.

Just a good Captcha is probably the best solution.
                There seem to be Captcha-Plugins for vbulletin.
                Mom to Amaya *October 4th, 2011 (MMC, HC, clubbed feet...)

Comment

I have emailed Barb (our webmaster) to look into the matter.
                  She is however very busy so it may take a while for her to respond, so please bear with us.
                  Roger

Comment

Hi guys. We do have a human verification on for the actual registration process that is fairly easy because of the non english speaking issues. I am thinking it is the blogs too like you all mentioned. I need to go see what I can adjust to see if it helps
                    "All you need is faith and trust... and a little bit of pixie dust!" --Peter Pan
                    Read about our lives and travels on my blog Mom Off Track
                    I am on twitter if you ever need to get me quickly or just want to chat about something!

Comment

This website is going down hill fast

I know people are looking into it but i just want to say if the spam thing isn't sorted out soon then people will stop using this site and go else where... maybe thats an option? But i would hate for people who need help to be left out in the dark so to speak because when they come across this website all they get is spam.

Please people in high places fix the spam issue quick before we lose people that need to be on this site.

Thanks,
                      Hotwheels.

Comment

We are working on it, please bear with us as we search for a solution.
                        Roger

Comment

Originally posted by hotwheels View Post
                          I know people are looking into it but i just want to say if the spam thing isn't sorted out soon then people will stop using this site and go else where... maybe thats an option? But i would hate for people who need help to be left out in the dark so to speak because when they come across this website all they get is spam.

Please people in high places fix the spam issue quick before we lose people that need to be on this site.

Thanks,
                          Hotwheels.
                          While the spam has been a noticeable increasing problem, it actually isn't a lot of spam. I've seen a lot more.

I was a Moderator for an official website run by EMI from 2006-2010 (I think). There were 3 of us doing it. One from America, one from the UK and me from Australia to cover different timezones. We were constantly busy on a daily basis. Holidays were our worst. I'll never forget Boxing Day 2006. I personally removed 150-200 spam posts. They weren't just new threads either. They were posts within existing threads which complicates things. That was bad.

Comment

Yes, the posts inside legitimate threads take much longer to kill.
                            I'm not keeping score but I reckon I've removed at least 100 posts over the past 24 hours.

@Melz, are you putting your hand up to help out here?
                            We can use the help and it would improve the timezone coverage.
                            Last edited by Dodger67; 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM.
                            Roger

Comment

Hotwheels-we are ALL volunteers here and the mods continually do their best in all area of this site. They work tirelessly for no pay to make this site a great place to visit. No one makes money here. No one. And it costs no one to be here.

We have had a spam problem for the past few weeks. Thank you Melz for pointing out that in the great scheme of things it is not really as bad as it could be. Believe me I too have seen much much worse.

I really don't appreciate your comment that we are going down hill fast. In the years this site has been here it has probably saved more lives and given more comfort than any of will ever know and that is all due to the amazing moderator team you have here that work their butts off behind the scenes. If you really feel like our site can be destroyed over a few 100 comments I would like to suggest that you really don't understand the work being done here.
                              "All you need is faith and trust... and a little bit of pixie dust!" --Peter Pan
                              Read about our lives and travels on my blog Mom Off Track
                              I am on twitter if you ever need to get me quickly or just want to chat about something!

Comment

Working...
                              X