Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Melz & Barb -- I'm glad this isn't a worst case scenario! And Melz -- we'd love to have the help. Dodger is great -- he probably has been catching 75% or more before I even see it. I usually read this forum in the mornings (like now), but I'm trying to check in in the evenings, too, now, just to stay on top of things.

Barb -- thanks a million for your tireless efforts!
    49-yr-old, lumbo-sacral SBO with split cord malformation, lipomyelomeningocele, and partial sacral agenesis; walk with one AFO & crutch; self-cath; college professor w/a PhD

Comment

I just seen 10 post from this name (Candancejjc) and its all spam I well be staying off this site until its all fixed Thanks If you want's to send me anything my E-mail is in My Profile Thanks.

Comment

Those posts were made just a few minutes ago and now they and the poster are gone! So you can get off your self-righteous pulpit now.
        Last edited by Dodger67; 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM.
        Roger
        Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Comment

If it is at all feasible to confer limited moderating rights to a number of posters in different time zones and appoint them "spam hunters", I'd be happy to be one of them - the real mods' time might be spent on more important monitoring tasks, I feel.
          Benjamin, born 10/2012 with SB L5/S1, loved by his parents and his older brother and sister (born 2006 and 2010)

Comment

If I had more time (working with an active toddler!) I'd try and help. I must be stupid or just down right non observant as I hadn't really noticed it. Ooops!
            Freya Grace - born 23/06/2011 with SB meningocele at S1/2. Mummy's Little Pudding, and my everything xxx

Comment

Fighting spam is the most work we do as moderators. Guiding new members is job with a much lower work load. We will consider your offer, thanks.
              Roger

Comment

For some reason we have become a target of fun. It usually passes. We appreciate all of you wanting to help. The best thing you can do to help is report it and don't respond. As Dodger has said, it makes it much easier to clean up.

Honestly, I am really disappointed in the lack of respect from some people about the issue. It's a problem, we know it's a problem, we are dealing with it. But honestly, given the lives we all lead? Its a pretty minor problem given that this board costs you nothing yet gives so much----in other not so nice words? Thank LisaJoy and Dodger and get over it.
                "All you need is faith and trust... and a little bit of pixie dust!" --Peter Pan
                Read about our lives and travels on my blog Mom Off Track
                I am on twitter if you ever need to get me quickly or just want to chat about something!

Comment

spam happens.... it doesn't bother me. You all take care of it fast enough.
                  Robin http://robinmacd.blogspot.com/
                  Mom to Natalie born Oct 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
                    Honestly, I am really disappointed in the lack of respect from some people about the issue. It's a problem, we know it's a problem, we are dealing with it. But honestly, given the lives we all lead? Its a pretty minor problem given that this board costs you nothing yet gives so much----in other not so nice words? Thank LisaJoy and Dodger and get over it.
                    I really don't miss that part of the job. It truly is thankless and you get the blame for every little problem - "The forum is down. Oh the moderators must have done something wrong". Even now after the forum is gone, I still get trouble from ex-members that needed to be warned for something. Just a few months ago my personal facebook account was hacked into after I had received a message "I thought you had died?". A few weeks before that, I read on another forum a post by an ex-member saying how he wanted to push me down a flight of stairs. It was an official site run by a record company. The rules were in place for a reason. We did not come up with them, but had to enforce them. I think it is simple really. If you follow a few simple rules, you never have to worry about hearing from a Moderator. It's not rocket science.

I really don't miss it.

Members of any forum just need to remember:

- The Mods and Admins are only human. They are not robots. The forum is not run by a machine. As has already been said, there is no payment. It is not a job and real life should always come before the internet.
                    - Spam happens on all forums. It is not a fault of the Mods and Admins. There is very little that can be done to stop it completely.
                    - If you don't like how a forum is run or being handled - suck it up or leave.

Comment

Volunteer moderators wanted.

We need a few moderators to help manage this site.

We particularly need to improve our time-zone coverage so that problems don't remain unresolved for too long - we would particularly like one or two new moderators from the East Asia, Australia, New Zealand area, but we would of course accept volunteers from anywhere.

Moderators need to be experienced members with an established good reputation on the forum.
                      (No offence meant to new members but we need to get to know you and you need to be familiar with our ways before we hand you the keys.)
                      Previous experience with moderating or managing forums is an advantage but not required.
                      Moderators must visit the site regularly - once a day is reasonable - to review the activity that has happened since their previous visit and deal with any issues.
                      Moderator duties include dealing with spam and assisting new members with using the site.

If you'd like to help our community as a moderator please say so here.

To start the shortlist Tigerle has already expressed her willingness to help.
                      Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger67 View Post
                        If you'd like to help our community as a moderator please say so here.

To start the shortlist Tigerle has already expressed her willingness to help.
                        I sent a message to Barb about an hour or so ago.

Comment

I got it. THANK YOU! I'm going to make some coffee and then get on this....
                          "All you need is faith and trust... and a little bit of pixie dust!" --Peter Pan
                          I am on twitter if you ever need to get me quickly or just want to chat about something!

Comment

Thank you both!
                            Roger

Comment

I don't post much, but it's always nice visit the site occasionally and see how everyone's doing.

I just wanted to thank all you mods for your hard work in maintaining the site, at the end of the day spam is pretty much a fact of the internet and it doesn't affect the quality of this site.
                              Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet

Comment

I'm always searching for a "like" button for posts like these!

Comment

Working...
                                X