This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dodger67 View Post
    I wonder where our Spanish speaking regulars are?
    Is my impression (from movies and tv) that Hispanic Americans are generally bilingual incorrect?
    I vote totally incorrect. Most of the Hispanic Americans I know dont' speak a lick of spanish of any dialect/version. I think it will depend on how far in generation they are. Same goes for anyone of any origin. This is quite the sweeping generalization you have made.

Comment

We'll just have to blame Hollywood for spreading such false impressions around the world.
      I was expecting at least a few posts here saying "I can translate between Spanish and English"

Anyway it's really awesome to see this list grow.
      Roger
      Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Comment

I can't translate, but I have used http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to talk to some family in France. You can Type in your language, and then pick which language you want to translate it to, then copy and paste to whatever you are using to communicate. Some times it mixes up some meanings, but it works pretty well for the most part.

Comment

I can't translate anything, by I think this is a really cool thread/idea.

As for Hispanic Americans, it really varies. As a teenager I lived in an area with a large Hispanic community, and the majority of the kids were bilingual. It was pretty common to hear Spanish being spoken in the halls. I also know plenty of Hispanic people who only speak English.
          Mama to an adorable 4 year old girl with SB, lipomyelomeningocele, TCS, neurogenic bladder & bowels
          http://www.mindfulmeerkats.blogspot.com

Comment

In my experience machine translations range from lousy to dangerous...

I started this list specifically to be able to offer assistance to a number of recently joined members who are not fluent in English. Automatic translations cannot be trusted for stuff like medical terminology where accuracy is really important.
            Roger
            Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Comment

I love this thread! Well done Roger.

I can translate French.

Cheers, Maryanne

Comment

English is main tongue. I speak forms of UK and Australian English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish and both forms of Norwegian (I am trying to learn Swedish and both forms of Norwegian due to being a full Norwegian citizen by Marriage).

Comment

HOLA!
                  I can translate form spanish to english or english to spanish.
                  Im from Colombia; in most the schools now, they teach English.
                  Last edited by Alejandro Duran; 08-22-2011, 03:06 AM.

Comment

I'm an anglophone. Grew up taking the second languages of French and Spanish. Lost them both, however, so I am no good to you all whatsoever.

I'm into conlanging (studying and developing constructed languages, e.g. Esperanto), though. w00t!

Comment

I'm a native speaker of German.
                      I have no problem translating German to English and vice-versa.
                      I guess my English is quite fluent though I have to get used to all the medical terms of course.
                      For about 10 years I've been on english-speaking messageboards and I watch movies and tv-shows in English so my English is a bit more than school-English.

I also speak Spanish.
                      By the definition of the european foreign language certification my level is about B1.
                      Maybe a bit below...
                      I can read and understand it quite well and write and speak Spanish though my grammar is not perfect... but people usually get what I mean
                      And if I listen real hard I can also understand stuff on TV in spanish or songs.

My husband is a native speaker of German and Spanish so he could help me.

I'm also surprised no american wrote that they speak Spanish.
                      But being of 'hispanic' origin probably a complicated situation in the US. (Again: mainly clisheés from hollywood and american media here.)
                      Mom to Amaya *October 4th, 2011 (MMC, HC, clubbed feet...)

Comment

I speak Finnish as a native language so I can translate English to Finnish and other way around I also know some Swedish.

Comment

Hi, I speak n read Spanish

Erika G.

Comment

I am a native German speaker. I read, speak and write French and some Italian. I can read Spanish.
                            Benjamin, born 10/2012 with SB L5/S1, loved by his parents and his older brother and sister (born 2006 and 2010)

Comment

I only speak English. But, I do know ASL(American Sign Language). But, that won't be of any help on here.....

Comment

(I speak English only)

Comment

Working...
                                X